|Civil War Widow Pension: Mary Clabaugh Townsend|
This document is fairly straight forward. It signals that the end of the file is soon to be closed as Mary Townsend has died and a pension is no longer payable.
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF PENSIONS
Oct 3 1916
Certificate No. 320542
Class ACT OF APRIL 19, 1908
Pensioner Mary Townsend
Soldier William J Townsend
The Commissioner of Pensions.
I have the honor to report that the name of the above-described pensioner who was last paid at $12 to JUN 1 1916 has this day been dropped from the roll because of death August 28 1916
Chief, Finance Division
- Mary (Clabaugh) Townsend died 28 August 1916.
- Mary's final Pension payment was in 1 Jun 1916 for the amount of $12.
- Mary had received the pension for 24 years (1892 - 1916)
- How often were the payments made?
- The original amount was $16 because of Mary ($8) and four minor children ($8). If the pension never increased, then who were the additional children providing Mary with $4 per payment and what happened to them upon their mother's death? Or, did the Pension amount increase at some point?