06 August 2014

Things I learned about myself while scanning

I have been holding on to this post for sometime, waiting to release it when the time was right. In 2012, blogger Sarah and the Goon Squad, wrote a great piece entitled Things I Learned About Myself While Scanning Old Photos.

She featured 8 things that she learned and I loved the idea. I'm amazed that she kept her list to less than 10 things. In reviewing my list, I could have come up with hundreds of things. I'm sure that would be super boring, so I decided to cut the list off at 15.

1. I used to smile as big as my second daughter.

Devon Lee youth
Me!

Devon Lee's daughter
My daughter.

2. I have always prefer my hair long


Power of personal history


3. This perms destroyed my hair

Scanning and Personal History
Scanning and Personal History
A few years after the perm 'faded,'
and my hair was never the same.

4. I wore a lot of dresses for a girl who hated dresses. Perhaps I didn't like ugly dresses.

Devon and Robert Geiszler
Pretty dress from scrapbook.
Wish I had more dresses like this.
Not so pretty dress.
I can see why I hated dresses!

5. I didn't know much about fashion.

Devon Geiszler in Middle School
Hmm... teddy bear sweater in Texas?

6. But sometimes I had winners (okay, for the time...)


High School Homecoming
High School Senior Prom


7. I enjoyed pageants when I was just having fun

Have fun at Pageants
That's me clapping and having a great time.
My pageant winning moment
This was my winning moment!

8. I like having my pictures taken but doing it full time would not be fun.


Devon Geiszler
Devon Geiszler

9. I had more fun at activities with friends than with boyfriends.

Devon Geiszler and Joseph Buffa
High School dance with my best friend Joe Buffa.
Best dance ever!

10. I really do miss being in color guard.

Kempner High School Color Guard
Kempner High School Color Guard at camp
Blinn College Band and Color Guard
Blinn College band, me in the middle!

11. High School became more fun when I cared less about grades and more about people.

Kempner High School Graduating Seniors
The point is... I would never have enjoyed this girls if
I didn't learn the time I spent studying with the time I spent
with people. These girls made high school rock!

12. I am so glad I went to Texas A&M

Texas A&M Elephant Walk Class of 98
Texas A&M Elephant Walk Class of 98

13. I love being married to this hunk!

Andrew and Devon Lee
Andrew and Devon Lee

14. Motherhood has been the most difficult blessing of my life.

Andrew and Devon Lee
The day I became a mother for the first time.

15. I'm so blessed to have these folks call me mom. This is the best career move I have ever made.


My fabulous kids!


Hopefully, this post will inspire you to think about your story, your personal history. My upcoming book, 21st  Century Family Historian, focuses on the importance of recording your story just as much as the story of your ancestors. The book will be released on September 1st at Amazon.com

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this and you are so wise to record these memories for your children and children's children some day! Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I do envision my kiddos and my future grandkids enjoying all the things I preserved for them. Sometimes, I just have to remind myself, there is much I can learn as well. This was fun. I'm so glad Sarah and the Goon Squad gave me the idea.

      Delete
  2. As a family historian, I keep running across blogs that emphasize the importance of telling our own story, but I never know where to begin and often feel overwhelmed by suggested questions to answer -- they're just too heavy and introspective. But your approach with pictures and a few captions make it all seem much easier and doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy... sometimes it's hard to turn the spotlight around on ourselves, rather than just our ancestors. I love finding fun and simple ways to write personal history. I hope you'll give it a try and then leave a link when you do.

      Delete
  3. Nice post! Thanks for the willingness to put so much of yourself into it. It does inspire me to tell more of my story rather than just my ancestors. After all, I will be an ancestor one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, exactly! We will be the ancestor and our family will be so glad to have these little gems we leave behind. I can't wait to see what you share, assuming you post it online.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...