20 August 2014

Power Scrapbooking: Borders Aren't Only for Decoration

Heritage Scrapbook layout
Heritage Scrapbook tip: Use borders


Notice the brown boarder surrounding this scrapbook layout? This is done intentionally but not necessarily as a design element. Instead, the added border has a practical purpose.

I have noticed that not all scrapbook printing companies are the same. What I mean is, not all printing companies cut their printed scrapbook pages the same when combing them into books. As such, I'll often have great variations between what allowance one company provides and what another does not.

Common advice for digital scrapbookers to place all essential elements within the space 1/2 an inch from the edge of the page. All other elements can go all the way to the edge, but consider anything 1/4 in from the edge likely to be cut off.

With this page, I have a border colored to compliment the page.
If the border is not fully trimmed off, the border serves as design role.

With this advice in mind, I like to put a narrow boarder around my pages. Anything inside the boarder should not get cut off. Anything under the boarder may. This helps me to visualize well the space I have available to me.

Some scrapbooking programs have grid-lines that you can lay over your layout creations that are not permanently attached to the design. For me, this is not enough to jump out at me, so I place my border on a separate layer in Photoshop Elements called border. Sometimes I remove the boarder before printing and sometimes I do not.

Consider adding borders to your layout for design purposes, or practical ones as well. Most often, the small border will be trimmed off.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...