15 August 2014

Getting Nerdy: My Ancestors and Death

Warning: My nerdy genealogists side is coming out. I have seen people create cause of death trees before. I haven't wanted to create a similar tree for reasons I can't determine. However, after writing the previous post, I was curious about something else. I wanted to know how old my ancestors were when they died. Not only that, how old was their child I'm descended from when they died?

So, I created this chart. I've listed my ancestors and their ages when they died. On the slanted connecting lines, I listed the age of the child when their parent's died. I hope this makes sense.

Age at death pedigree chart
Age of Death Pedigree Chart
After doing this experiments, it shows me how finite life can be. I had my parents long than my mother's ancestors had their parents (with the exception of Mom's mother) but not as long as my dad's family had their parents. My father's family generally lived longer lives, more so than my father. What's interesting both Robert Geiszler and George Geiszler were very heavy men throughout their life. We talk often of obesity killing folks early in life. Yet look how great-grandpa and grandpa Geiszler lived fairly long lives, despite being overweight.

Who knows what the chart will look like when I join my ancestors across the great divide? However, for the sake of my children and grandchildren, I hope to have my numbers be as large as possible.

My upcoming book 21st Century Family Historian, discussed the use of genealogical databases and other tools that enabled me to access this information in less than 20 minutes. The book will be released in less than half a month! I'm super excited. Look for it at Amazon.com on September 1st.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really cool! I haven't thought to create a chart like this, but it does give you a good idea of how finite life is-- and also of the challenges faced by our ancestors, especially ones that are orphaned at an early age. Back in previous centuries, people were lucky to live long enough to see grandchildren, but today many people are living to see great-grandchildren and sometimes even great-greats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, that's what I thought to. Thanks for sharing in my nerdy-nature.

      Delete
  2. I went through and recorded the causes of death for my family line. It's amazing how easy it was to die at one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The causes of death were pretty 'easy' not so long ago.Which is why my Grannie living to 91-ish is awesome. I hope to live a long life just like her. I haven't done the cause of death tree. I might have to do that in the future.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...