25 June 2014

Tuesday's Tip: Keep the Stories and Photos Together (Part 2)

A few weeks ago, I shared how I keep my stories and photos together. At the beginning of the year, I shared how I record my Personal History Through Blog Books, then I scrapbook later. I hope you have enjoyed these two posts. If not, go back and read them again.

One question a reader asked was how I kept the photos together now. Do I still create little text files and put them in folders, like I discussed last week? She noticed that I only include one photo in each blog book entry, so what do I do with the other photos?

The blog book method of keeping the stories with the photo has been a life saver for me. I can keep all the stories together in one place. I can also print the stories, with one or two photos, in a book for an addition way to share my memories. What I do with the all the other photos is similar to the method discussed last week, except I stop organizing them at the month level.

Here's the quick step view:

  1. Store photos arranged by year
  2. Store photos arranged by month
  3. Write memories related to photos in text editor.
  4. Save in a document in the year folder.
  5. Print document (optional)
Notice that this method's step three is not organize by subject within the month folder. 

Organize photos in Windows Explorer
Organizing Photos in Windows Explorer


Let's say I'm sorting photos from the year 2013. In Windows Explorer, I create a new file folder under My Photos and name it 2013. 

Then I create 12 folders and name them with the twelve months of the year. I like the folders sorted according to the month order, rather than alphabetically. So the folders are named with a two digit number before the month name: 01 Jan, 02 Feb, 03 Mar, and so forth.

I place the photos in the appropriate folders based on the date the photos were taken. Sometimes I take photos after an event to remember the event. I could take the photo a month after the event. In those cases, I'll place the photos in the correct month folder for when the memory happened (rather than date taken) in these instances.

That's as far as I go with sorting the photos. 

Then I record the memories in a text document using whatever text editor you want. I use a Windows computer, so for me I would record my memories in either Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer. I save the text document in the main 2013 folder. Mac users would use a TextEdit. You could also use a cloud text document creator such as Google Document in Google Drive. For more details on the process of creating the blog book, visit my previous post. Simply put... corral the photos in appropriate month of a year. Corral all the stories in a main document with a reference photo.

So there are two ways I keep the photos and stories together. I have played around with metadata and I'll share in a forthcoming post how I organize in that fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...