26 June 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Aggie Baby Clothes

Family history is not soley about the people of the past. Today's memories are tomorrow's history. Such is the case with this item. It belonged to my eldest daughter. She wore these two items over a decade ago.

Photographing in natural lighting
Artifact photography doesn't necessarily need
an elaborate set-up. Natural light & white sheet!
See I told you that 'today's memories are tomorrow's history. I can't believe my amazing daughter is so old now and how long it has been since I picked this outfit out for her. I didn't find out if I was going to have a boy or a girl. So, my baby was going to have the gender neutral coming home outfit that every Aggie Baby (babies born to alums of Texas A&M University) should have. An Aggie onsie!

I have held on to this outfit through many moves thinking someday my daughter will want to pass this one to her own young one. Then I had a horrifying thought. What if she doesn't go to Texas A&M!?! I will have saved this outfit for nothing. So, when a fellow Aggie was pregnant, I asked if she wouldn't mind receiving these used but loved outfits. The friend said yes!

Family History Heirlooms
My first child's coming home outfit
f/8, exp 1/8 sec, ISO 100
Spot Metering

Photographing Childhood Memories
Would have made a great hand-me down for my kids
f/3.5, exp 1/40 sec, ISO 100
Spot Metering

I needed to snap a fast photo so I put a sheet on the couch. The couch was close to but not exactly near my open window. The light was soft, but not necessarily bright. After taking these two photos, I had what I needed to put into my daughter's scrapbook. And I shipped the outfits to a happy Aggie momma.


Photographing Childhood Clothing
Alumi gear for the youngling
f/8, exp 1/3 sec, ISO 100
Center Weighted Average Metering

Personal History
The cold weather outfit
f/8, exp 1/2 sec, ISO 100
Spot Metering

I had saved the outfit my daughter wore on cold days. She looked adorable in these outfits. I had specifically purchased these two outfits for all of my kiddos to wear home from the hospital. This is why the outfits were 'neutral.' However, my sentimentality exceeded my logic and Uno was the only one who wore the items.

I share these photos so you learn a little about me and my silliness as an alumni from my favorite university and as a mother. My family loves this quirky side of me.

As I tell everyone I meet, family history really can be fun. Our ancestors are important, but so are our living relatives. I really can't believe my daughter is more than ten years old. It seems like yesterday I was a new mom wondering how on earth I would care for a child when I barely knew how to cook and clean. Somehow, here I am with five amazing kiddos.

Family history includes personal history. Photograph all the treasures, the old and the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...