01 May 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Missionary Series Begins

Thank you for everyone who enjoyed my husband's Boy Scout collection. If you missed the series, you can find it by going to the Photographing Memorabilia section of this blog.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to share some of the cool things that I had the opportunity to photograph regarding my husband's missionary years. I will be working on his missionary scrapbook. These artifacts will fit nicely with the other photos, documents, and memories that my husband preserved. I'm not sure when I'll complete the scrapbook but when I do, and with his approval, I'll share those pages. The challenge of doing a man's missionary scrapbook is definitely worth detailing.

f/4.5, exp 1/15, exp bias +0.3, ISO 100
Center Weight Average Metering
I've shared before how plaques can be a P-A-I-N to photograph. Photographing my husband's Missionary plaque is no different. This plaque is a bit larger than the one I shared before. It didn't fit into my make shift light box. I used the seamless backdrop set up with a white foam board reflecting the natural light back onto the subject. The set up was easy after so much practice.

What isn't easy is arranging my camera, on a tripod, to look straight now on the object without having the camera or anything reflect back at you in the shiny surfaces. Remember that I'm an amateur and I don't know all the tricks. I remind you of this because I suspect most of my readers are not pros. So, what do you do?

Well, I accepted the fact that I would not have a straight on image as much as I had hoped. The camera is angled away from the item and the reflections are minimized. Remember that having a 'good enough' photo of an item is better than nothing at all.

In the coming weeks I'll be sharing a variety of items. With some of my readers having their own mission experiences or their children currently serving missions, I hope this series of posts will be inspiring. Perhaps we'll see a few ideas of how to capture and preserve the mission memories, besides my own. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Feel free to leave a link to your own mission artifact posts in the comment section so the readers of this blog can be inspired by the photographs you've taken. You can also include the stories behind the treasures. Isn't that the point of the photography?

One final thing, many people serve in a variety of missionary capacities. Your collection might have items very different than the ones I share. Do not feel that your mission items aren't worth capturing. In fact, they are just as important.

While you're waiting for the next post, you might want to revisit the story of Why Two Aggies have a longhorn flag (it's a mission memento).



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...