07 May 2014

Heritage Scrapbooking: Childhood in Sepia

Ah the wonders of childhood. There's something magical about our ancestors when they were children. For those who are fortunate to have a collection of childhood photos, I share this two-page layout featuring my Grannie Louise Brown.

Scrapbook Layout with Sepia & Black & White Photos
Childhood in Sepia & Black & White Photos

Scrapbooking with Sepia & Black & White Photos
Childhood in Sepia & Black & White Photos
Credits: yellow flower & altered lace - Spa Holiday, green paper - Pink's Poetic Scraps, handwriting paper - A Narrative (by Scrap Girls), peach paper - Tea Party by No Reimer Reason, pink tag, staple, ribbon - Hello, Aunty; pink flower Mother May I

About the Photos

I love the photos of Grannie as a little girl. The one where she's wearing a period style hat and waving a flag is so adorable. My Grannie was a fairly easy going person, and this photo is such a gem.

My Grannie spoke of how her mother would dress her and her sister in matching outfits that Lura (the mother) had made. I am so glad that I have a photo of the girls in definite matching dresses. Oh how I would love to have seen them in color.

I do not know the story about the swing but I like how there is a photo of the girls in the swing and then one of Grannie and her mother. I wonder if Grannie's father was taking the photos or if the ladies traded off. If Grannie's father wasn't in attendance, I wonder what the occasion was and why her daddy wasn't there.

The final two photos remind me so much of my aunt, my mother's youngest sister, not the oldest. The one on the bottom left especially. Growing up and seeing this photo, I thought it was my aunt. However, the date of the photograph was much older than my aunt. Isn't it amazing how much a like family members can seem? So much so, that a date on the photograph is necessary to determine who is in the photo.

Finally, the photo of Grannie on her bike. I didn't realize just how much Grannie loved riding a bike as I was growing up and discovering her story. She lived far away from me, or I might have seen my Grannie riding a bike in the 1980s in her 60s. In her later years, she supported an organization in Columbus, Ohio that provided bikes to needy children. Grannie always felt young people should have a bike because she enjoyed riding so much. When I discovered this photo after her death, I was so excited to have a photo to compliment the new to me information about my Grannie's childhood.


Layout Design Tips

This layout is extremely simple, based on a four spot grid. Each spot has the option to use a full-sized photo or a decorative paper. The balance created by having each spot use the same rectangular shape is so pleasing.

The layout forced my horizontal images to be smaller than the full space allowed. However, a few of my photos are no larger that the space they take up on the decorative paper. Using the decorative paper to frame the smaller photos gave these treasures enough weight. The smaller photos do not become overshadowed by the larger images. Additionally, I had a perfect spot to include journaling while maintaining page balance as well.

And added bonus of this layout is created by using a photo that is smaller than the space provided.  I had the perfect spot to use a few decorative elements. Perhaps I could have use a few more elements, but I always strive to keep the focus on the photos and stories.

I used many of the coordinating embellishments from the  Mother May I
kit as well as the peach paper in the paper pack. One example of the kits
designed by  the talented Correen Silke.


You may have noticed in the credits that I used several items from different kits. This project relies heavily upon three kits from Correen Silke. That makes sense as many designer's naturally have things that can mix and match. When I still wanted something extra, I scoured my digital supplies and found the remaining items.

Heritage Scrapbooking color scheme
Color Palette for Louise's Scrapbook

One final thought. With this color palette, I'm able to showcase the sepia colored photos alongside black and white images. Some papers do not complement the aged photos as well as other colors. In crafting the pages, I did have to play with the different colors and different page textures in order to highlight each individual photo the best. This is another reason why I like the color palette. Using a variety of different pieces from various kits, and a simple layout design makes all these components work together.


Next week's layout will feature my Grannie as a teenager in the 1930s. You'll be surprised that her photographic view of the 'Great Depression' is an under told side of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...