30 April 2014

Heritage Scrapbooking: Sweet Baby Layout

When a someone picks up the scrapbook featuring my Grannie, they will be enticed to open the book thanks to the inviting cover. Then first page they'll see will be the family tree to set the stage. The story has only be told in pictures. Now it's time to begin layouts that have text. And the best place to start a tribute scrapbook is with the birth of your ancestor. That would be this two page baby layout.

Baby Themed Heritage Scrapbook  Layout
Credits: kit - Hello, Aunty; pink flower - Mother May I; fasteners - Sweet Sprinkles

Baby Themed Heritage Scrapbook  Layout
Credits: kit - Hello, Aunty; pink flower - Mother May I; fasteners - Sweet Sprinkles, white flower - Dinner Party

Heritage Scrapbooks will have several basic pages: covers, family trees, timelines, mother's page, and father's page. The rest of the pages will be Story Pages which I discuss in my eBook. Baby make excellent subjects for a layout.

With so many wonderful photos of Louise Long, I selected a two-page layout that had room for 11 photos. Three photo spots were used for historical documents in place of photos.

For the title, I attempt to draw you in by saying, "The girl with two names." The story tells of how Louise Long was actually born Marie Anderson. The two birth certificates will help future family historians know that the two birth certificates are for the same child.

I used the elements to fill in the blank spaces of the page and give the pages form and flow.  I event tried my hand at at clustering different flowers together. That was fun. I didn't have any greenery in my scrapbook stash that excited me. Otherwise, I think a little greenery behind the flowers would have finished off the cluster. (Bet you wouldn't have cared if I hadn't have mentioned it! Must be the teacher in me.)

As a genealogist, I'm torn because I didn't label every single photo with names and dates. I suppose that's the constant fight I have. Did I do a good enough job identifying the people in the photos through the text? Can a reader identify that the father and mother are named Harry and Lura and the older girl was Marguerite (aka Peggy) and the year was 1920-1921?

I could have added captions to each photo, but I decided to let readers use their deductive skills to figure out the answers to these questions. Let's hope they can.

What would you do? I'd love to know. Do you think it matters that each photo isn't labeled?


To learn what additional pages you should include in a family history scrapbook, purchase the eBook Create a Family History Scrapbook Digitally in 12 Simple Steps at Amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. Your layouts are fantastic! I especially like the page(s) with lots of photos, i.e., page two (2). That is what I have done with some of my own scrapbooks. Like to display the photos and add a couple of pages with the story/history. Thanks for sharing your beautiful wor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannette, that means a lot.

      I'm blessed to have a Grannie who had saved a lot of photos which made the layout process so much easier. She was such a cute baby.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...