16 April 2014

Heritage Scrapbooking: Inviting Covers

Heritage Scrapbook Cover
Heritage Scrapbook Cover Design
Credits: paper - Enjoy The Ride; trim, and tag - Hello, Aunty;
green flower - Spa Holiday; pink flower - Mother May I




Far too often, the cover of a scrapbook gets little attention. That's really too bad. An inviting cover can go along way to triggering memories of the stories inside for scrapbooks about living people. The cover design of a heritage scrapbook is just as important.

The interior of the scrapbook about my Grandma Louise Long Brown used a color palette with five colors with tans, peach, and light green. I have amazing photos of my grandmother, including this one. I had never seen this photo until my Grannie's 90th birthday. It is stunning. I love the stylish, simplicity of my Grannie. The cover needed to be understated so her photo took center stage.

The photo I had could not fill the entire front cover. On one had, I think a cover with her photo going edge to edge would be amazing. On the other had, I really like how I was able to use a few simple embellishments to set the theme and mood for the pages inside. The color scheme will not shock anyone when they open the book.

The little tag reads: The Life of Louise Long. I could have added her birth and death years to the cover. However, I decided to leave them off because I am still missing her greatly and left that information off. There is just enough information to identify the subject of the scrapbook. The rest of the information is within the book.

I had challenged myself to use more embellishments in the project. After designing all of the pages, I started working on the cover. After placing the key elements in place (the photo, title/tag, and the ribbons), I stopped. I just couldn't add anything else. The more I tried to think of what else to put on the book, the more I stopped focusing on the eyes of my Grannie. Grannie's eyes told so many stories. I couldn't have anything detracting from her eyes.


Heritage Scrapbook Back Page
Heritage Scrapbook Back Cover Design
Credits: paper - Enjoy The Ride; trim - Hello, Aunty;
green flowers - Spa Holiday; pink flowers - Mother May I

I figure once a person picks up a heritage scrapbook, they might flip it over to the back. I debated about putting more photos on the back cover or not. I couldn't decide on which ones. Instead, I opted to showcase a few of the artifacts that belonged to my Grannie. She was talented with sewing and handicrafts. Her nickname was Chick (short for Chicken), and my mother was born in May. She had this little bell to remind her of my mother. Having these three items on the back, invites my reader to want to learn more about the stunning young woman on the front of the book.

Although you'll often create the cover of your heritage scrapbooks towards the end of your project, I share this cover before the pages. The point is to emphasize the need to design a cover that invites people to read your book. You could go wild with your cover layouts, or stay on the simple side. Whatever design style you choose, give your scrapbook reader a reason to open the book and read more.


Tip: When you print your scrapbook, you'll want to opt for an image wrap hard-cover book. I have printed soft cover books before, and the books just do not hold up. Additionally, a heritage scrapbook is worth spending a little extra money on a custom cover rather than a cheaper, plain cover.

Second Tip: If you choose to print your pages and put them in page protectors or you do paper scrapbooking, you should spend time developing a cover and a closing page to your albums.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...