06 March 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Cub Belt Loops and Awards

Last week, I opened up my Treasure Chest and began sharing my husband's Cub Scout items. The first post in the series include items that were on his Cub Scout Uniform. This week continues with more scouting treasures centered around belt loops and awards.

Boy Scout Belt Loops Family History
Cub Scout Belt Loops
(ISO 100, f/5, exp 1/10, bias +0.7, AV, Macro Focus, Center Weight Average)

Belt Loops are some of the quickest awards to earn as a Cub Scout in a variety of Academic and Sporting focuses. Here is a sample of the loops that adored by husband's belt as a young elementary aged kiddo.

Personal History and Scouting
Cub Scout 15er Award
(ISO 100, f/5, exp 1/10, bias +0.7, AV, Macro Focus, Center Weight Average)
This award was presented to Cub Scouts who earned 15 Activity Badges. Although I don't have all the belt loops and badges, this award is evident of how active his pack, his family, and/or he was in earning awards. I don't know if this award is still presented these days. My boys are certainly in the running for it if they are.

Personal History and Scouting
Additional Cub Scout Patches

The top patch is the Recruiter patch, as the name suggests. When a new scout joins a unit, and is a referral from another scout, that referring scout can earn the Recruiter badge. Apparently, my husband helped refer a scout. Hopefully it wasn't his younger brother! That would be cheating.

The two panda bear patches are the the World Conservation awards. These patches involve a different set of requirements depending upon whether the boy is a Wolf, Bear, or Webelo. It also involves a conservation project. So, my husband's troop must have done something worthwhile for the environment!


Alright... so that's the run down on what the patches are. Knowing is half the battle right? So, how did I photograph these babies?

I used a white muslin fabric draped over a pile of craft fiber fill. I placed this inside a light box and filtered desk lamp light through tissue paper attached to the cardboard construction. I placed my handy dandy camera on a tripod, got in close, and set the camera to AV priority. You can see the settings I used (or the camera adjusted for me).

I will brighten things up a bit using the levels adjustment in my photo editing program. Then the photos will be ready to go along with this factual information, and the memories my husband does have of being a Cub Scout in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...