19 March 2014

Heritage Scrapbooking: A Final Page about Lew Brown

It seems genealogists love death events because they can provide a wealth of information about an ancestor. I don't know that a scrapbooker (or normal person for that matter), treats death in the same manner. A loved one has passed away and we are often sad and wish that person was still with us. With regard to my Grandpa Lew (or paw-paw as I referred to him in my younger years), he died in my early childhood. His final family history album page will discuss his death.

Heritage Scrapbooking Death and Funeral
Heritage Scrapbooking: A page about death
Most elements from the page kit by No Reimer Reason called Americana;
 Tag from Home of the Brave Kit by Nikki Barber

This page is different from the Funeral Page featuring my father. For my father, I could talk about how he died. For Lew, I could only discuss what caused his death and who survived him. What you share on a funeral page would depend upon what you have available for your use. This photo of my grandfather is how I pictured him. This is what he looked like in the pictures after I was born and was similar to what he looked like near his death. I included a photo of his headstone with American flag because he was 'our soldier'. And I included his funeral program.

All of these elements take center stage and the paper is the same found in the kit I used as the foundation for the entire project. I like the stripes because they are more masculine to me. I don't think imagine my grandfather as a soft, floral kind of guy. He seemed to enjoy life and his family. He lived an All-American life in an All-American town. The stripes project that emotion, rather than something more 'sober'.

The family historian in me says to have fun with death pages (weird, I know). The granddaughter crafting a scrapbooker in me says, do it with taste. I would love to see how you treated the subject of death of your loved one in your heritage albums. Include a link in the comment section below so we can all enjoy.



If you have enjoyed my heritage scrapbooking posts, considering purchasing my eBook family history scrapbook, purchase the eBook Create a Family History Scrapbook Digitally in 12 Simple Steps at Amazon.com. I share more pages that help tell the story of your heritage in a way that makes your next project doable. Good luck and happy scrapbooking!

3 comments:

  1. Death is also a celebration of life. I'm glad you shared a happy picture of your Grandfather. That's the way you remember him best. That is how I remember my grandparents too. Mary W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. Death is a celebration of life. And I believe I will see him again. And he knows I want to have a long conversation about who he was and the stories that didn't' get passed down.

      Delete
  2. By sharing this page, I learned something from my aunt. One, I made a type-o. My grandfather died on his 60th birthday, not his 70th. UGH! I KNOW he died on his 60th. Darn. But... digital scrapbooking makes this easy to fix. Also, I always thought grandpa died of lung cancer. My aunt shared that it was cancer of the esophagus. This is why we should share what we have. By sharing, we can have feedback... some if it can help correct the stories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...