13 February 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Penny's High School Charm Bracelet

For the past two weeks, I've shared the charm bracelets that belonged to my mother. This last one (for now)  must have been the one that started them all. Why do I say that? Because it's filled with charms from her high school, South High School in Columbus, Ohio. I know she attended that High School from her memory books, her telling me stories of her high school, and the fact that not only did she and her older sister go to the same school, but her younger sister did as well. So, South High School is the right school.

South High School Columbus Ohio Charm Bracelet
High School Charm Bracelet
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
f/4, exp 1/8 sec, bias +0.3, ISO 80
Focal length: 13 mm ; Center Weight Average metering

From hearing about South from the sisters, I know that their mascot is the bulldog. On this bracelet is a bull dog. There is are a few charm bracelet that also say South High. The year 66 is the year she graduated, and there is a graduate charm as well. She participated in twirling, though not at the high school, and there are charms reflecting that interest. There are other charms (including a ring) that I do not know the history behind. Ugh! I don't know if I'll ever know. But at least I can place the heirloom for her high school days. I wonder how many other ladies from South High School also had charm bracelets, given the school had such charms. I also wonder how much a fad these charm bracelets were.

Family history jewelry
Lightened in photo editor.

I look forward to combining my mother's high school memory books, this charm bracelet, and some of the stories I had her record of her high school years into her life history. I'm sad that she won't be around to tell me that she likes what I've done. But, I know she expected me to treasure her memory and care for her history. And I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...