27 February 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Cub Uniform Items

If you have a mother-in-law as awesome as mine, you will know how blessed you are to have a collection of things carefully preserved over the years. Among the collection of things she painstakingly cared for and moved, which was many times, was the boy scout artifacts for my husband. Over the next two months, I'll be sharing much of his collection.

I hope you'll see that our family heirlooms can be part of our personal history. Additionally, I hope you'll recognize that somethings do not change. And finally, I hope you'll be inspired to photograph the collection of items belonging to your spouse, your ancestors, or even the current scouts of today. Today's events are tomorrow's history.

Cub Scout Family History
Cub Scout Ranks and Arrow Points
(ISO 100, f/5, exp 1/5, bias +0.7, AV, Macro Focus, Center Weight Average)
Boy Scout patch, Religious Knot, and Arrow of Light
(ISO 100, f/5, exp 1/3, bias +0.7, AV, Macro Focus, Center Weight Average)
Progress to Rank, Den Patch and Award
(ISO 100, f/5, exp 1/8, bias +0.7, AV, Macro Focus, Center Weight Average)
Webelos Colors and Activity Badges
(ISO 100, f/5, exp 1/8, bias +0.7, AV, Macro Focus, Center Weight Average)



The memories of the awards from Cub Scouts are no longer concrete in my husband's mind. So, I won't be able to share any stories specific to these artifacts. I know what my boys are going through to earn their Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear ranks. The progress to rank beads help keep the boys encouraged throughout the advancement process. Eventually, the boys can earn a religious knot, the only Cub Scout award that carries over to their scout uniform. The program my husband did is certainly different than what the boys do now as the current program is fairly new.

With boys soon to be advancing through the Webelos level and earning their own Arrows of Light, I'm excited to have photographed "Dad's stuff" to show them that scouting hasn't changed much. That's a good thing. Tradition creates connections that span the generations. And isn't that what family history is about?

Perhaps this post shows that just because someone is living, they might not have the answers to the  questions you seek. However, my husband does have memories of some specific events that happened while he was in the scouting program. The questions I'll need to ask won't be of the 'what is this?' variety but more of tell me about when you were in Cub Scouts.'

We'll have to capture those stories and couple them with these photos in order to enjoy a rich story. Happy documenting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...