16 January 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Grouping My Medals

Previously, I had shared with you the photographs of individuals medals that I earned in high school. If each individual medal had a significant story, then photographing them separately and recording the memories for each would be fine. However, I was not a prolific writer in high school so I did not record the memories of every medal that I earned. Instead, I remember being in band and going to the annual solo and ensemble competition. I normally took a solo piece for the oboe and for the flute, though I played oboe in the concert band during school. Oboe and flute have such similar fingering, that I could switch easily, even though the embrasure was quite different.

Collection of High School Solo & Ensemble Medals
Collection of High School Solo & Ensemble Medals
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
f/5, exp 1/15 sec, bias +0.7, ISO 100
Focal length: 10mm; Spot metering

In any case, with the collection of medals, I can remember that I generally received a top score from my participation. One time, a combination of two flutes, two clarinets and an oboe sounded interesting but for some reason we crashed and burned during the performance. I know we didn't receive a top score and quite possibly the lowest score that I ever earned in high school competitions of this kind. I'm sure that when I finally sit down to record more memories of high school solo & ensemble competition, that more memories will come. Having my artifacts grouped in this way takes the pressure off me to remember each piece and every date. Instead, I can focus on the overall experiences and any specific memories as they come.

High School Band Memorabilia
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
f/5, exp 1/15 sec, bias +0.7, ISO 100
Focal length: 13 mm ; Spot metering

When you photograph your Treasures, be sure to think about how your photos will be used. It might be great to photograph everything separately. Or, you might be better suited to photograph things as a collection.


High School Band Memorabilia
Get in close
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
f/5, exp 1/15 sec, bias +0.3, ISO 100
Focal length: 16 mm ; Center Weight Average metering


The other tip I want to suggest is get in close. Many professional photography tips tell amateurs that they're biggest mistake is not getting in close. So, play around with getting in close to your objects. Then pick the one you prefer.



2 comments:

  1. Those are nice medals; I bet your glad that you kept them all these years. We didn't have an oboe in our concert band in high school, but I've always like the side the instrument made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I kept them. Most schools were lucky to one oboe players. We had 9 spread across three bands. Not fun for such young students.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...