22 January 2014

Heritage Scrapbooking: Childhood Page, Americana Theme

Last week, you saw the first in a series of posts about my grandfather's heritage scrapbook. My grandfather Lewis Brown was a military hero who died when I was very little. I don't remember him but my mother thought he was an All-American dad. So, I chose an All-American theme for his heritage scrapbook.

Heritage Scrapbook Page Ideas
Heritage Scrapbook Childhood Page Ideas
Page Kit: Americana by No Reimer Reason
With this page, I wanted to highlight the fact that my grandfather and his brother Harry over time. Harry and Lew had two much other brothers but they were out of the house when the boys were fairly young. So, Harry and Lew were photographed together without their older brothers. I'm very fortunate to have a photo of Harry, Lewis and their parents Sherman Lewis Brown and Emma Virginia (Townsend) Brown. (Emma is the daughter of William Townsend who I've been featuring on Amanuensis Monday).

To create the title element, I used a paper from the Americana Kit, filled it into a rounded corner rectangle shape, and then added some beveling. The only other embellishment I used was a fastener for the family photo in hopes that the little touch would draw your eye up to the family photo and down to the journaling. Generally, I focus on the photos of the boys so I needed a little something to say 'hey, there's something over here!"

Notice I have a little captioning sentence under the boys' photos to say who they were and when they might have been taken.

I thought I'd also mention now why I use so few embellishments in this album. The focal person is my grandfather Lewis Brown. Since he is my grandfather, he is a male. I know that seems obvious. But the point is, when the subject is male, it's best if we don't get carried away with embellishments and decorative elements. For some, my pages may be boring. But to those who understand the mood I'm portraying with this album, they understand why it's so understated.


To learn what additional pages you should include in a family history scrapbook, purchase the eBook Create a Family History Scrapbook Digitally in 12 Simple Steps at Amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the perfect heritage page. Informative journaling and pictures laid out in a nice way and very clean design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber. I wanted something timeless. I didn't want to create something that looks 'on trendy' now and will drive me crazy in a year or more. Thanks for appreciating my clean design.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...