12 December 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Mom's Funeral Trinkets

The first anniversary of my mother's passing occurred this week. In honor of my dear mother, and knowing that December and January will bring about the passing of many loved ones, I thought I'd share this treasure chest item.

If you will be placing anything in the casket with your relative, snap a photo of the objects before you put them in. Especially if they are treasures to that person. My father passed away in 2008 and an Ohio State University sweater was placed in his casket. I really wish I had taken a photo of that. Boy oh boy did he love Ohio State football.

My amazing friend Stacey thought to photograph my mother's medical bracelet. I had seen her wear this, or a necklace of similar style, for so many years. It's a natural part of who my mother was. She had diabetes, hypertension, and a host of other problems. In the last 5 years of her life, she had renal failure and was on thrice weekly dialysis. Her medical tags certainly would help an EMT who may not know anything about her medical history.

The following photos were taking by my friend using a  Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT. I would love to own a camera such as this someday. Perhaps if I sell a few more eBooks.

f/4, exp 1/60, ISO 400
Pattern metering, Flash in compulsory mode

What is interesting about this set up are a couple of things. First, we were in a pinch to photograph these before placing them in mom's casket. So, my friend opened up the back of her van and used the floor as her back drop. It was perfect. Second, she used a flash. Generally, I was taught not to use the flash. However, we were outside in less than ideal settings. She flipped on the flash, angled it to not fire directly on the object. And now we have these photos. My best friend is such a genius, if I do say so myself.


f/4, exp 1/60, ISO 400
Pattern metering, Flash in compulsory mode
 This one has a little less glare.

f/4, exp 1/60, ISO 400
Pattern metering, Flash in compulsory mode
I don't remember what my friend did to adjust his last one. It certainly isn't something I can determine from the photo property tags. However, the shadows disappeared. With a little cropping, this will be perfect for my mother's story of medical history.


My mother also loved pageants and had her own pageant newsletter and eventually website. Her focus was solely on teenagers and adults. No kids pageants for her. She often would be invited to judge pageants across the US and even in Puerto Rico. Her motto was "If you're buying, I'm flying." She was known to ask hard hitting questions and then follow it up with "What's your favorite recipe to make?" to see if she could throw off contestants.

Whenever she attended a pageant, she was known to wear a rhinestone pin. It's only fitting that she have a few of these items buried with her. (Hey, she even had a pageant crown inscribed on her tombstone.  Yes... she liked her pageants.)


f/4, exp 1/60, ISO 400
Pattern metering, Flash in compulsory mode

f/4, exp 1/60, ISO 400
Pattern metering, Flash in compulsory mode

I like the close up photo better.

f/4, exp 1/60, ISO 400
Pattern metering, Flash in compulsory mode


Again, she made an off camera adjustment and zoomed in even closer. Perfect. Now... to use photo editing program to remove the white string on the red high heel!

So... if I can share anything, photograph the objects that matter to your relatives. Photograph those treasures that are buried with them. It will certainly remind you of the things that mattered so much to your relatives. And, use whatever background you have, including the back of a van. Get in close and snap those pictures.

2 comments:

  1. When my dad moved to the care center, I took the time to photograph all of the items he kept in his jewelry box on his dresser. Lots of personal treasures there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! So glad you did. Now the treasures will be remembered for a long time!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...