13 December 2013

Photo Friday: Religious Plaques

This month, I am sharing photographs of family treasures that are of a religious nature. My grandmother Louise Brown did not attend any particular church on a weekly basis throughout her life. However, she had a quite faith that was present as evident by these tiny trinkets in her life long possession.

Photographing Family Religious Items
f/5, exp 1/160, bias +0.3, ISO 200, Pattern Metering

This photograph of Jesus is less that four inches tall. I had to photograph it in a light box with the macro setting on my camera. I definitely used a tripod with an object this small. Thankfully the frame had a small easel stand that stuck out from the back. Thus, it could stand up on it's own. That made orienting the object easy. I have to be careful to remind people that this object isn't larger than it appears in the photo. Perhaps an ancestor will be looking for a large photo frame and be greatly disappointed in the actual size of this.


Treasurechest Thursday Religious Items
f/5, exp 1/160, bias +0.3, ISO 200, Pattern Metering

This wood wall art plaque was larger than the mini portrait. It did not have any support behind it, so I had to lean it against the back of my light box. Thankfully, that wasn't too much of a problem.

I wish I had the stories behind the photos of these objects. I did not know they existed until after Grannie's death. Perhaps they belonged to her parents. Perhaps they belonged to her mother-in-law. Perhaps they were hers and helped her quite faith. I do not know. I can keep the mystery of the story alive with these photos.

Be sure to photograph your family's religious items and record the history of such before the story because a mystery.

3 comments:

  1. The lower one, my mom has a copy at her house.

    The upper one, we had a large, framed copy of that in the narthex/gathering area of my old church. The print survived when the church flooded, but we don't have the space to display it in our current location. Churchfolk still ask about it from time to time. Many have mentioned how the artist's lighting, architecture, and framing of the plants puts Christ in the center of a Valentine's heart, which makes it a favorite among our congregation. It had been there for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this with me Heidi. I'm glad my photos bring back memories for you.

      Delete
  2. My aunt told me on Facebook that the lower religious item belonged to her, not her mother. And the upper one is not triggering memories as to who it belonged to. Since Grannie moved in my aunt's home and my aunt moved an old bedroom set into Grannie's room, it's easy to see how things might have gotten confused. One must be willing to photograph things and humbly accept correction should misunderstandings arise. Yet, had I never shared these photos, I would never know the truth!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...