22 November 2013

Photo Friday: The Girl Scout Brand Name

Can you say over achiever? Yes... that would be me in the Girl Scouts organization when I was younger. I earned so many badges, it was crazy and fun at the same time.

Girl Scout Sash from the 80s
Front of my Girl Scout Sash, top section


Believe it or not, the Girl Scouts brand name was a very important part of my life when I was younger. (In case you missed the other brand name posts, they are: Rocky Mountain jeans brand tag, Star Wars Watch, and Bon Jovi T-Shirt) I walked numerous streets of my neighborhood going door to door selling Girl Scout cookies. My mom helped sell a few boxes to her co-workers. This generally earned me the minimum quota my troop set. Anything else was on my shoulders... so I solicited door to door. Thankfully, most people were more than honest and trustworthy.

Today I want to share with you some photos that I took using a seamless backdrop setting when the white muslim is ironed crisp.

Photographing Heirlooms
f/4.5, exp 1/13, bias +0.7, ISO 100
Center Weight Average, natural light, no flash

I draped the muslin over a piece of craft fiber fill (used to stuff inside various sewn craft projects). I arranged the sash over the elevated platform (notice the way the background drapes off of it). I arranged a piece of white foam board on the right side of the sash to bounce the natural light back onto my subject.

I did mention being an over achiever right? I've said before to take photos of all sides of your object, right? Well, here is the top portion of the back of my sash.

Girl Scout Scrapbooking
f/4.5, exp 1/13, bias +0.7, ISO 100
Center Weight Average, natural light, no flash

Notice the bottom portion of the sash? Notice how there are even more badges? Want to see them?

Personal History Girl Scouts
f/4.5, exp 1/13, bias +0.7, ISO 100
Center Weight Average, natural light, no flash

Okay... for you genealogists. I bet you'd ask, what can I extract from these photos? Well... that I was very active in Girl Scouts. If you interviewed me, I would not be able to tell you what all of those badges mean. But... guess what? In my stack of papers, I have something to help me out.


Using records to write personal history
Girl Scout record supports personal history

The above document supports the photos for my personal history. I can refer to the various awards I received and attempt to match the record's information with the photos of my artifact. And, if I'm still stuck, there is a Vintage Girl Scout Online website to help identify various pins, uniforms, and such.

 I love how documentations and artifacts can combine to enrich the stories in our personal history. Can you imagine what documents and photographed artifacts can do for your family history?

Stories + Stuff + Documents... that is the ground work of family history.

Now... go out there and photograph the stuff that supports your documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...