06 September 2013

Photo Friday: Patches or Insignias Challenge

There is something about September that makes me think of clubs and organizations. Perhaps my husband just granted me further access to his boy scout collection. Perhaps it is the thought of many persons going back to school and making decisions of what clubs and activities to join. I'm not exactly sure. However, I thought this month's Treasure Chest Challenge would be to photograph the patches or insignias associated with work, clubs, or other organizations our family belongs too or participated in.

f/4, exp 1/8, ISO 80
Spot focus metering

I found that a seamless backdrop set up can work really well for patches, as will a light box. The key is, that taking photos of objects such as these absolutely flat can be difficult with my tripod set up. So, I like to elevate the objects a little. I place a little bit of craft fiberfill underneath a white piece of cloth. Then I lean the patches against the cloth. I adjust the angle of my camera to reflect the patches' angles and viola!

f/4, exp 1/5, bias +1, ISO 80
Spot focus meters


Another thing I liked doing was grouping patches. In Boy Scouts, a participant can generate a LOT of patches. So, it's a good idea to cluster them when you can.

Good luck photographing the patches and insignias in your family history and heritage memorabilia collection.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I definitely recognize those insignia! I love how you provide the camera info on the pictures you take. It's very helpful for those of us still learning to use the manual functions on our cameras :)

    I nominated you for a Liebster Award on my blog! I wanted to get you some recognition for having such a great blog so check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know the information is helpful. I'm still very much an amateur. I have found that many 'how to books' are written by professionals who've forgotten what it was like to be a beginner. So, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered scanning them? I don't know how it would work but some scanners and copiers are really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn... great questions. I have attempted to scan the patches but the results isn't what I would want. The scanner provides a distracting shadow that goes away when photographed.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...