19 July 2013

Photo Friday: Watch Face

This is a first in a series of artifacts that I photographed at one time. I used the my not so seamless background set up. (Even with ironing, the material is still wrinkly. Ugh!). I set this up in my living room beside the larger window with wonderful soft natural lighting. I used a white foam board to bounce light back onto each subject as needed.
Photograph memorabilia
f/5, exp 1/4 sec, exp bias +0.7, ISO-80, AV 3.625
Metering: Center Weight Average

Photographing family heirlooms
f/5, exp 1/2 sec, exp bias +0.7, ISO-80, AV 3.625
Metering: Spot

Photograph family history
f/5, exp 1/4 sec, exp bias +0.7, ISO-80, AV 3.625
Metering: Center Weight Average

I like the second watch photo best. I like the way the background fades. However, the colors of in the third photo are more true.

Now... I'll confess that I don't know much about this object. I believe it was my mother's. I vaguely remember dad wearing a more hefty watch. This one, though larger enough to cover my entire wrist on one side, it is light weight. So, I believe this belonged to my mother. The other clue is that the majority of mementos were things that belonged to my mother.

Going on the assumption that it was my mother's, brings back these memories. Was a working woman in the eighties. She had the big hair, big glasses, and big jewelry (hence the watch). Her watch band would have been leather (or a leather substitute). And the band was probably changed out at least once. I remember one watch band was probably white and then it was brown at another time.

What I don't know is the story behind how mom got the watch and why she saved it all these years. So... when your relative loads you up with artifacts to photograph... ASK QUESTIONS! We have the technology to record their memories so we can draw upon it later. As you'll see in the next series of photos from my mother's stash... I did a genealogical no-no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...