10 July 2013

Heritage Scrapbooking: Identify the People

Group photos are awesome to use in heritage scrapbook pages. Unfortunately, we can't label all of the people in a photo on the back for posterity's sake. Since this is a heritage scrapbook, we must label people in photos to ensure that anyone who views our pages know who is in the photo.

I went searching for inspiration on the internet. I came across this example in a Scrapbook.com gallery.

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/source/13/134889/IMG_010237.jpg
I like the concept of this page. I applaud this heritage scrapbooker for finding a way to identify the persons on their page. For me, I like to make every scrapbook page do multiple duties. My pages should not only identify people, but also share a story. So, I used this layout as inspiration for my own group photo. I included a brief paragraph about the Alonzo Comfort family that speculated when the photo was taken (as I don't know when at this posting).

Family History Scrapbook page
Heritage Scrapbook page: Alonzo Comfort and Myra Marr family

I love the digital scrapbook kit created by Correen Silke called Spa Holiday. Unfortunately, I can not seem to find out where she has that kit available. I'm quite certain she didn't expect it to be one of my favorite kits to use for heritage scrapbooking.

The journaling on the page is:

Alonzo Comfort and his wife Myra Marr were the parents of seven children. It's possible this photo was taken shortly before Susannah May married James Merritt in 1914. It would have been the last family only photo before the addition of husbands for all the women, except Almina who died at the age of 24 in 1922.

The caption said: Back Row: Almina, Laura, May, and Clementine. Front row: Myra (nee Marr), Fay, Carrie, and Alonzo Comfort.

Now, this is a scrapbook page. I could go into great detail about why there are six children in the photo of Alonzo and Myra when I mentioned they had seven children. The simple fact is that one child died in infancy. A family history book or blog post would cover that information. However, the scrapbook page is to give a brief, general overview of the family. My journaling hints at the fact Almina was the only one in this photo of six girls to now marry, as she died at the age of 24.

Remember, in your family history scrapbooks... you don't have to tell the whole story of your ancestors. But, you should include the stories on your page. A page that only features a photo and a lot of embellishments misses out on the opportunity to share the story of your ancestors on every page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...