18 June 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Michael Billmann, Oak Grove Cemetery, Georgesville, Ohio


Michael Billmann Gravestone 1832-1884
Michael Billmann (1832-1884)
Photo by Dave
Find A Grave: Memorial # 25435926

I supposed Michael Billmann could be considered my third great step-grandfather. He married my third great grandmother Caroline Mack Geisler after grandfather died in 1863.

This photo is, but I wanted to take a better photo of it when I visited the Oak Grove Cemetery in Georgesville, Ohio. When I arrived at the plot, I noticed that the obelisk is two sided, with Caroline on the reverse side. I also noticed that two additional stone were in the general area of the plot.

Michael Billmann 1832-1884, plot
Michael Billmann plot
Photo by Devon Lee
If I could retake this photo, I would also include the name "Billmann" at the bottom of the stone. Since the contributor took a great photo of the full obelisk, I only added this second photo which is a close up of the inscription for Michael.

Michael Billmann gravemarker inscription
Photo by Devon Lee
The stone reads: Michael Billmann Born Oct. 16, 1832 Died Aug. 1, 1884. I added this second photo to FindAGrave.com.

I was unable to capture a better photo of Catherine's stone, so I am thankful the volunteer took that photo.

Michael's plot is located in the back 'left' section of the cemetery as you enter from the front gate. It's to the left of a utility building. A fire destroyed burial records for this cemetery for the older stones. The grounds keepers do seem to know the cemetery very well, for which I'm thankful.

As the records for the plot was destroyed, I'm uncertain about the two little stones behind Michael's obelisk.

Small stone on Michael Billmann's plot

Second small stone on Michael Billmann's plot
I am uncertain about these stones. Are they 'parental' stones which might have said Mother and Father. Or, could one of these stones belong to my 2nd great grandfather Henry Geiszler (from Caroline's previous marriage). Henry is supposed to be buried in the Georgesville cemetery. He could have been buried on his step father's plot, especially since he was probably poor at the time of his death. But then again, he could have been buried elsewhere within the cemetery. Without records, no one knows. Unless the descendants from the Billmann family happen to know the story of the plot. Here's hoping a step cousin finds me.

This old section of the cemetery is not laid out in the 'modern style'. So it's very difficult to tell where one plot begins and ends. Nevertheless, I'm thankful for the service my step-grandfather did. He might actually be the only father Henry might ever have known. Henry was 4 when his father died and his mother married Michael. His sisters were 3 and 1 respectively. They certainly would not have remembered their father, Joseph.

On the 1870 Census record, the Geiszler chidlren were recorded as Billmanns, along with their half brothers. But on all of their marriage records, they used the last name Geiszler (with some variation of spellings).

Although I know very little about step-grandfather Michael, and many would not consider him a 'direct' ancestor, I will keep learning about him, if I'm able.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...