22 June 2013

Surname Saturday: How Many Surnames?

I know that Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: How Many Surnames challenge is from March of this year;  however, I'm finally getting around to doing the challenge:
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.

2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.

3) Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5! Or 10!
Surname Statistics List
Surname Statistics List in RootsMagic 6

So, I'm using RootsMagic 6 and I created a Surname Statistics List. I have 451 surnames for 1691 people.

Top Five Most Frequent:
  • Comfort ~ 117 (7%)
  • Zumstein ~ 63 (3.7%)
  • Young ~ 63 (3.7%)
  • Lane ~ 52
  • Moote ~47

I would actually have more Comforts, Zumstein, Lanes, and Mootes on my tree if I allowed more of the collateral lines in my database. However, I feel there are plenty of researchers on those family trees, so I have restricted how many are in my database.


My four grandparent's last names:

  • Geiszler #9 ~30
  • Zumstein #2 ~ 63
  • Brown #6 ~ 44
  • Long #7 ~ 40
  • Anderson (Grandma's birth surname) ~ 2
Interestingly, I have 35 women without last names.

The surname that has the earliest occurrence is Marvin (with it's varied spellings) in 1515.

The earliest occurrence of my four grandparent's last names:
Geiszler in 1836
Zumstein in 1792
Brown in 1795
Long in 1770

That was kind of fun. Since the Comforts, Lanes and Mootes go 'way back', I'm trying not to be tempted to work on those lines, except to gather the stories of the direct ancestor of mine (for instance my great grandmother Clementina Comfort). I find myself continually telling myself... do the four grandparent's line. I have a huge brick wall with my great-grandmother Agnes Anderson, but I know a little more about her than a did a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...