14 June 2013

Photo Friday: Tie Pins

I was having a hard time figuring out how to photograph my husband's tie pins. I tried a white background that I used for lapel pins. But, it didn't seem right. So, I had a great idea. If they're tie pins, pin them on a tie! I know, novel idea, right? Okay, okay. You would have figured that out before me. But, I liked the idea and I set to work.

Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
f/3.5, exp 0.8, bias +1,  ISO- 80
center weight average metering
This isn't too bad, but I wasn't loving the results.


f/3.5, exp 1/2,  ISO- 80
center weight average metering
I took the exposure bias setting off and didn't like the result.  So, I attempted a close up.


f/3.5, exp 0.8,  ISO- 80
center weight average metering
 Aha! I didn't like how small the tie pin looked. The close up was much better.


f/5.6, exp 1 sec,  ISO- 80
center weight average metering

I changed the aperture setting and found something I really liked.  So I applied it to two more tie pins.

f/5.6, exp 1 sec,  ISO- 80
center weight average metering

f/5.6, exp 1 sec,  ISO- 80
center weight average metering

The black tie was the perfect backdrop for my husband's tie pins. And doing macro photography on such small objects, really made these tiny objects take center stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...