Photo Friday: Lapel Pins

When I think about fathers and adult men, I often picture them going to work or church in suits. Lately, I have come to notice the pins these men wear on their lapels and then I started thinking about all the pins I have been given over the years.  I earned these pins from academic societies associated with college. On a rare occasion, I wore them on my church suit but usually they are stuffed in a drawer somewhere. Many pins come with great stories and if the pin is ever lost, a photograph will go along way to preserve the memory.

The trick to photographing things of this size is to really get in close. But you knew that, right? The other trick is that these treasures need to stick into something. Otherwise, they topple over and are difficult to photograph.

f/5, exp 1/10, bias +1.3, ISO 100
Center Weight Average metering

I simply stuck these pins into a piece of white fabric. Then I placed craft fiber fill underneath the pins until they were in a pleasing and easy to photograph angle.

f/5, exp 1/10, bias +1.3, ISO 100
Center Weight Average metering

These items are so small, that they photograph well inside a light box (unlike the pin above). And, if you have a collection of pins, you might as well photograph them together.

Go and photograph the lapel pins you have laying around your house or that adorns your relatives suit. Remember to record the story associated with the pins as well. Then leave a link in the comments section to your blog post or Flickr feed showcasing your photos so we can all celebrate your work.

1 comment :

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...