03 May 2013

Photo Friday: High School Memories

It's May and the end of school for K-12 is upon us. For some, that means graduation from high school. Fittingly, this month's Treasure Chest Challenge pertains to objects from your High School Memorabilia collection.

I decided to photograph my Cap and tassels from my high school graduation. I'll have to share the memories that these items bring to mind in a separate post. But here's the few things I learned about photographing these objects.

Photographing High School Memorabilia
f 4.5, exp 1/8 sec, ISO 100
Spot focus metering
Photographing High School Memorabilia
f 4.5, exp 1/15, bias +0.3, ISO 100
Center Weight Average metering
I'm not entirely sure which version I like best. I used my 'seamless' backdrop, but as you can see, it's not so seamless is it? Ah well, we learn. I had to stuff fiberfill into my cap in order to get it to stand up. When it was flat, it looked lifeless. With it puffed up, then the cap's tassels hung down and looked more inviting.

I also realized taking a photo of the cap, for me, was boring. Having the school color tassel as well as my cum laude neck tassels draped over the hat, told a better story.

So, when you're photographing your high school objects this month, pay attention to the details of the back ground. See if you can smooth things out a little. Also, group objects in collections for a more interesting photo story. Having fun! I can't wait to see what you capture in photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...