08 May 2013

Heritage Scrapbooking: Inspired by a Baby Layout

Inspiration for family history scrapbook pages abound. You just have to know what you're looking for. When you're looking for inspiration, try a Google image search for 'heritage scrapbook pages'. Some images will take you to Pintrest collections. Some images will take you to Flickr galleries. Others will link to scrapbook galleries such as the one I found at Two Peas in a Bucket.

Inspired by grandmaalynnie
Project-Knickers by grandmaalynnie,
click name to see full details on TwoPeasInABucket gallery.

I really like grandmaalynnie's use of a soft color for the background paper beneath the journaling. It has just a hint of texture but does not distract from the legibility of the text.  I love the dark texture paper for contrast and to visually support that this is a little boy's page. The layout is simple and very effective. I keep looking at the photos and then the text rather than the accents. Yet, the accents tie everything together with polish. Feeling inspired, I found a relative with two baby photos that I haven't scrapbooked.


Childhood hertiage scrapbook idea
Childhood scrapbook page by Devon Lee

I used a digital scrapbook kit called A Narrative from Scrap Girls. The pink background paper and the floral accent in the lower left corner were originally too strong for my style. So, I lightened them with Photoshop Elements. I like how subtle and soft they are. Again, supporting that this is a little girl's page (similar to the inspiration layout). I added the eyelets from a stash of generic digital eyelets that I have.

Most of my scrapbooking is done in the 8.5 x 11 portrait orientation. Printing this size is difficult. However, I love the size when I curl up on the couch to read it. 12x12 is too big and bulky (doesn't fit on my book shelves either). 8x8 is too small. 11x8.5 is awkward to hold. So... I would rather have something that is the right size, though not commonly sold, than anything else. As such, I have to move things around on the page from my inspiration. It was easy enough to do.

The other thing I noticed, is that when I placed Marguerite's name in the lower corner as the inspiration scrapbook page had, it seemed misplaced. When I moved the title under the large text box and moved the tag accent to the lower left corner, the page felt in balance. I love using other people's work as an inspiration for my own. Our styles and photos are different. So, a sample layout might not work exactly for every person's project. However, I love having a great starting point. Thank you grandmaalynnie.

Have fun search the internet for heritage scrapbook page inspirations. You never know what you will find. Just remember that the photos and the story matter and should take center stage. More on that another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...