07 February 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday Challenge: Shoes


Last month we focused on photographing Baby Items. If you missed it, it's never to late to post about the items you digitized. This month's Treasure Chest Thursday Challenge we're focusing on the love of many women (and perhaps some men), their shoes! Shoes are fun to photograph but they take a little bit of work.

How to photograph shoes
Treasure Chest Thursday Challenge: Shoes


The shoes I chose to feature in this challenge aren't actually mine. They're my husband's. He was in ballet as a teenager and his mother kept a pair of his slippers. By the looks of the slippers, he got a lot of use out of them. As he saw the improvement in my personal artifact photos, he suggested I do his as well. Thank you dear! It was fun.

For the shoes, my DIY light box was the perfect shooting spot. The box was placed on top of another box which sat on the floor. This allowed me to place a desk lamp directly over the top of the light box. The light filtered through the cutout opening on the top of the box. This opening was covered with white tissues paper. This tissue paper filter, softened the light. 

How to photograph shoes
Shoes in light box with black background
f/4.5, exp 1/5 sec, exp bias -0.3, ISO 100,
Center Weight Average metering mode, no flash


Initially, the ballet shoes looked terrible, no my eye, with both 'top sides' facing up. Before taking the first photo, I flipped one over and crossed it over top. I thought the first photo off the camera was incredible. So I focused on trying to make the ballet slippers look their best.

Treasure Chest Thursday Challenge shoes
Shoes in light box with black background
f/5, exp 1/4 sec, exp bias -0.3, ISO 100,
Center Weight Average metering mode, no flash


For the second photo, I shifted the orientation of the subject. Not bad. But something wasn't right.


Photo Friday Challenge Shoes
Shoes in light box with black background
f/5, exp 1/4 sec, exp bias -0.3, ISO 100,
Center Weight Average metering mode, no flash

I flipped the shoes so that the top sides were both facing up again. I didn't think I would like this look. But after I snapped a photo, it really looked better. So, the lesson I learned is to experiment a little.


How to photograph ballet slippers
Shoes in light box with black background
f/5, exp 1/4 sec, exp bias -0.3, ISO 100,
Center Weight Average metering mode, no flash


I kept experimenting until I found something I really liked. For some reason, this orientation grabs my attention. The advertising major in me wants to believe that this photo demonstrates movement. The shoes bring your eyes across the natural flow from upper left to lower right. Then the 'larger' portion of the shoe, the toes, has greater emphasis. I suppose that's fitting since one thinks of pointed toes when one thinks of ballet.

So... grab your camera, and grab your shoes and take some photographs. I really like the effect my light box had on the shoes with the desk lamp pointed straight down on the shoes. I'd love to see if you find a natural setting or other set up that works well with your shoes. Also remember, you can play with the background color! Have fun....

Next Month's Challenge: FAD ITEMS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...