02 January 2013

Heritage Scrapbooking: Using Timelines

In my previous post Family Tree Pages, I shared why I include family trees in any family history scrapbook I create. I also shared why I use mini-family trees throughout my projects to help the readers of my albums visually connect the relationships of family members. Today, I want to share another essential page to any scrapbook that features your ancestors. A timeline.


Use a timeline in your heritage scrapbook
A timeline makes a heritage album outstanding

This is a sketch of a simple time line. The concept is to have a ticker, rather horizontal or vertical, and dates. You would off set important facts about a person on either side of the time line. You could improve the plainness of the sketch by adding 'bars' for major world events such as World War II, presidents in office. Or you could use the bars to show major family events "Life in Texas" or "Immigrating to America". There is enough space on the page that you could add photos as well. You are only limited by your creativity.


Timeline for Heritage Scrapbooks
Timeline for a Heritage Scrapbook Page

This page features important dates in the life of Samuel Curtis Brown of Maryland who moved to Columbus, Ohio. It includes pictures of Samuel and his wife Martha Gordon. I don't have many other photos of this family and I hope to have some in the future. But for now, this simple page would make a powerful addition to a family history album.

I have other timelines created at this time, but they involve living individuals, so I won't post them here. In the future, I hope to share more variations. Feel free to link to your timelines in the comment section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...