11 December 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Is Louisa Schenck Related to My Mystery Woman?

In April 2011, I posted about my mystery woman in the Geiszler Family History (see Mystery Monday - Bertha Schenk). While I was in the Green Lawn Cemetery I came across the last name Schenck again.

Louisa Schenck
Find A Grave Memorial #61136591
I can't find out anything more about Louisa, without having Green Lawm Cemetery pull her burial records.  So I'm not sure if she's party of my story or not. However, it was interesting how this stone sent me on another quest to find my Mystery Woman.

I noticed a Bertha Schenck Kuehner (1861 - 1939) on the FindAGrave Website. Another website lists Bertha's father's name is Conrad Schenck. There is no stone and no further information on the memorial page. The age looks close about right for Bertha to be in the bridal party of my great-grandmother Maggie Hoppe.

Bertha Schenk, ca 1862
Found in the photo album
kept by Maggie Hoppe Geiszler

I found a Bertha Schenk working as a servant in Columbus, Ohio in the 1880 US Census. That's what Maggie Hoppe was doing in that same time period.That would tell me so much more about their friendship. Ahh.... the mystery continues but here are clues to sort out nonetheless.

I found a marriage certificate for Bertha Schenk who married Jacob Kuehner on 10 May 1883 in Franklin County, Ohio. Maggie was married one year before on 3 Jul 1882. So, again, more connections but no solid proof.

How does this all relate to Louisa's stone? Well, if I hadn't wondered through Green Lawn taking additional photos, I wouldn't have spotted this mystery name. If I hadn't posted Louisa's stone on Find A Grave, I wouldn't have seen a Bertha Schenck Kuehner and found clues to investigate. Sometimes it pays to look around at the other stones in the cemeteries. I'm fully aware this could be a wild goose chase. HOWEVER, Bertha Schenk is not proving to be a very common name in the 1860s in Columbus, Ohio. So, I'm very intrigued in all of this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...