21 December 2012

Heritage Scrapbooking: Don't Let The Fear of Change Stop You From Making Something

For the past two weeks, I've shown you two examples of family trees that you can use in your heritage scrapbook albums. For both pages, I have had them printed in bound albums. After they were printed, I received additional photos. Now what do I do? Why did I go through all the effort in the first place? Shouldn't I have been more afraid to print something because new information may become available?

Original Family Tree created for Lewis and Louise Brown

If I had made a paper scrapbook, the problem would be solved by quickly printing the appropriately sized copy of the photo and sticking it in place.  If I had printed single pages of my heritage album pages, I would print a new page and not have a problem. I would have no need to despair.  I would not let the fear of change stop me from making a scrapbook.

Since I have printed the heritage albums in a bound format, I have a decision to make. Do I reprint the book? Sounds scary, right? NO! Why? Because the cost of digital scrapbooks is relatively inexpensive.

Let's take an example. In my mother's album, I did not have all of the photos for my family tree. I still printed the page, not knowing if I would ever have photos for that spot. I was determined to create something based upon what I had, rather than what I may have someday.

Since printing the book, I have received photos of her great grandparents Sherman Lewis Brown and Martha Gordon. Am going to reprint her album yet? Not yet. Her album is fairly accurate to this point. So, I'm going to leave it. If my brother wants a copy of the book I made, I'll be sure to include the new photos. Until then, I will update the tree image file and have it hang out here for my mom to enjoy. If I ever get around to creating books about my aunts, they'll have the updated version of the tree. Someday I'll have enough changes that my mother's album will need to be reprinted. Until then, I think her book is fine as it is, and I'll just print copies of the photos of her great grandparents.

Update of Family Tree Scrapbook page
Update of Lewis and Louise Brown Family Tree;
now including Sherman Lewis & Martha Gordon Brown

The biggest reason why people don't create family history albums, besides not having the techno-know how, is the fear of printing inaccurate information or receiving new information. If you have those fears, then do single page printing of your digital scrapbook pages and store them in a page protector type album. Or do a paper scrapbook, but use copies of your photos and documents. Then you can easily reprint or alter pages when the need arises.

If you like bound albums, don't worry about the changes. When you have enough information to warrant a new 'edition' of the scrapbook, reprint it. The cost of printing digital scrapbooks is so inexpensive these days, sometimes even free. It really isn't a factor. Don't worry about the 'wrong' copy being in the hands of generations forever. The purpose of the scrapbooks is for people today and is printed in small numbers.

The entire point of a family history scrapbook is to get information into a visual format that is pleasing to those family members who aren't as 'involved' in genealogy as we are. They need SOMETHING to refer to and say, "This is my family." They don't want a giant paper weight (at least not yet). They want something that gives them the basic facts and invites them to learn more.

So... don't let the fear of changes stop you from creating a family history scrapbook.

Check out my new book entitled  Creating a Family History Scrapbook Digitally in 12 Simple Steps. Available only through Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...