23 November 2012

Photo Friday: The Power of a Black Background

As a genealogist, I want to capture the life my ancestors. More than know their vital statistics, I want to know who they were. I believe their 'stuff' tells a lot about who they are/were. I have been on a quest to improve my novice photography skills to help family heirlooms and personal mementos can help tell the story of my loved ones, and myself.

During this quest, I've learned many things. When shooting still photography indoors:
  • Generally do not use the flash
  • Use a tripod
  • Experiment with macro settings
  • Lower the ISO value to sharpen the image
  • Try different angles to see what lighting works best.
But this post isn't about those things. It was nice to review them. This post is about how I believe a black background can be VERY powerful. Here is just a sampling of the photos that I have fallen in love with on a black background. (FYI: You'll probably see these photos again in future posts, but they look really good as a collection).

Neckerchief Slide
f/3.5, exp 1/4 sec, ISO 80

Pageant Shoes
f/3.5, exp 1/80 sec, ISO 250

Academic Letter
f/7.1, exp 1/2 sec, exp bias -1, ISO 100

1980s Charm Necklace
f/3.5, exp 1/2 sec, exp bias -0.7, ISO 100

Ballet Slippers
f/5, exp 1/5 sec, exp bias -0.3, ISO 100

Prairie Diamond
f/5, exp 1/4 sec, exp bias -0.3, ISO 100

I hope you can see how amazing these items look against the black background. I wouldn't have discovered this unless I was willing to just play around with background colors, camera settings, and more. 

Since Thanksgiving is next week and many people visit their families during that time, I have a challenge for you. Gather a few family heirlooms and take a few photos of them. Use a light box or natural light. Try out different background colors in your lightbox, such as black. While you're at it, be sure to find out the stories behind the artifacts. I can't wait to hear the results of your Thanksgiving photo sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...