07 November 2012

Heritage Scrapbooking: Turning Genealogy Into A Gift

Turn a copy of an ancestor into a gift
In January, my awesome Grandmother passed away at the age of nearly 92. She was so full of energy and had the most amazing laugh you've ever enjoyed. She loved her family and her family loved her. She was a bad cook, despite the fact that her mother was known for being a good cook. She was a widow from 1977 to 2012, which to me is a LONG time to be without the love of your life.

My aunt was Grannie's caretaker for the last 9 years of her life. My aunt says Grannie really was fairly self-reliant until the last year. I knew having Grannie gone would be tough for my absolutely amazing aunt. When it was craft night at church and this project came up, I knew what to do. I made a copy of the photo my aunt never knew existed and mounted it on this tile. When my aunt saw it, I knew I had made something amazing for her.

It's fairly simple.
  1. Use a copy of a heritage photo (or printed family tree). 
  2. Obtain a piece of tile. They come in various sizes from home improvement stores (or from a goodwill 'restore' type place). The tile we used was 6x6.
  3. Select complimentary scrapbook or wrapping paper and cut to size.
  4. Lay a thin layer of Mod Podge on the tile with a foam brush.
  5. Place photo and decorative paper on the adhesive. Smooth with fingers or specialty tool.
  6. Cover the photo and paper with another layer of Mod Podge.
  7. Glue ribbons and attach sticker embellishments

I thought this post would be timely for those of who scrambling to share family history as a gift for this Christmas. It would make a great Mother's Day, In Remembrance, or celebratory gift as well. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of scrapbooking on tile! The instructions sound so easy that I'm going to give it a try :) Just one question, though. For no. 7 (glue ribbons and attach embellishments), what type of glue did you use? Do you need special adhesive for gluing something on Mod Podge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. I hot glued my ribbon. With the stickers, I used the adhesive that came with the stickers. Glue Dots would also work. Hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...