05 October 2012

Photo Friday: Small Medallions


If you have small charms, medallions, or other artifacts, they can be tricky to photograph. I find that my ironing board studio and the light box work wonders for such small objects. 

Exposure: 1/40, aperture: f/3.5, focal length: 14.4 mm, ISO 80

This pendant is very small. With the light box on my desk near the window, I could take a quality photograph but I was struggling to have the camera, on it's tripod, zoomed in enough to keep the photo in focus and still have the medallion fill the frame of the photograph.

Instead of remaining frustrated, I placed the light box on my ironing board and adjusted the height and angle of the tripod and the ironing board until I finally had the right combination for the job. 

Exposure: 1/40, aperture: f/3.5, focal length: 14.4 mm, ISO 80

The medal is much larger this way. I still need to learn more to improve the sharpness of my photograph, but I can easily add this photograph to a heritage album with a page about a young woman's religious experiences.

**** redo ironing board picture!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips for photographing your medallion! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...