24 December 2011

Surname Saturday - Pusecker

German names have a variety of spellings which make them extremely difficult to research in the United States in the 1800s. Although Pusecker is a collateral line, the family traveled with the Mack family which is one of my great-grandmothers. Additionally, one Pusecker family purchased land next to a Mack family and a Geiszler family. I'm researching the line to see if I can find clues to my Geiszler/Mack families, especially since a Pusecker married a Mack. (Confused yet?)

In any case, I've been trying to scour the US Census records in Franklin county, Ohio. Trying to find the records is not as simple as using a soundex or phonetic search to the Pusecker name. Finally, I started compiling a list of name variations as I happened to uncover them. I verified wives & children, birth/birth place, and residence history to make sure I had the right person. In any case, I don't want to go into all the strategies I employed to come up with the following list. Instead, I wanted to share the list for two reasons: a) for any other Pusecker relatives who are having trouble finding their family members and b) to show how very, very different the names can be spelled.

Here's a list of spelling variations I've found for just three Pusecker males in Franklin county, Ohio Census records between their arrival in 1845 to 1920.


Buckeser
Busacker
Busacker
Buseker
Pasenger
Persaker
Puesecker
Pusaker
Pusecke
Pusecoier
Puseker
Pusicker

One would think the sames would appear in the soundex/phonetic searches but their just different enough that they don't always make the list. Now that I know, I'm less frustrated when searching for these kindred collateral lines. I haven't made any major breakthroughs on the Geiszler/Mack lines, but I have discovered two records that I'm interested in searching. First the 1890 Veterans Schedules and U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918. These two records could help me find more relatives that I hadn't considered before. Thankfully, they are online, makes it easy for a mother with young children at home to do research. Another record worth researching is the U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles. Unfortunately, this record is only available as an index online. Someday I'll have some time to take a look at the actual records. Nevertheless, these three records are worth examining for the Geiszler/Macks in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...