19 October 2011

Thankful Thursday

Slide from my Digital Scrapbooking Class
This may seem strange but I'm thankful for the opportunity to speak at a Genealogy Conference this weekend. I was asked to fill in for a friend this past Monday. I'm thankful that I've been writing a book about Digital Family History Scrapbooking which will help me teach the class (I just need to remember to be BRIEF). I only have 50 minutes. I also am pretty sure that there will be digital novices and I need to not go completely technical on them. However, I'm hoping to share a brief overview of possibilities and the process of creating a digital scrapbook. Then, I plan on leaving a good chunk (15 minutes or so) of time at the end for Q&A.

This is a great opportunity to fine tune the book before publishing. It's a great opportunity to teach (which I love). And a wonderful opportunity to serve a friend. Plus I get to talk about Family History...

BUT I have a decision to make. Since I'm filling in for two classes, that's two I'm unable to take at the Conference. I was able to make an easy decision of what class not to take when I was only asked to teach the am session. However, I'm really stuck. The afternoon session has two classes that I don't know which to pick. They are both offer the same hour earlier in the morning. So, I have to chose only one. The first is Digging Through Brick Walls and the second is German Research. I'm really sure which one to pick. The conference will provide the notes for all the classes, whether you take them or not. I just don't learn well from notes. Soo.... my brick wall happens to be a German. Which do I go to? 

My brick wall that I currently have in mind is a German named Joseph Gei├čler. I know that he lived in Columbus, Ohio in the 1840s. I think I know when he died and where he is buried. But prior to his appearance in a Census in 1860 and a land record in 1856, I don't know anything about him. He died in 1863. So.... he's my brick wall and he's German. Which class do I take?

3 comments:

  1. My thought is the Digging Through Brick Walls class for the strategies that will likely be presented. Perhaps there are U.S. records that you will start with before "crossing the pond" and getting into the German research.

    Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth... I agree with you. The strategies would be wonderful.

    I just realized that my neighbor is teaching the Brick Wall class. The German history class might help me decipher some of the German records on this sign of the pond as well. Still, struggling. However, if my neighbor wouldn't mind a 'private lesson'; perhaps I can get both classes and do a service at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to find a family historian who likes digital scrapbooking. I look forward to seeing your book about the subject.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...