03 August 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Samuel Leroy Brown and Marietta Hicks

I'm excited that I found the wedding certificate for my grandfather's brother. But now I have more questions than answers.

According the Brown Family Bible kept by Emma Virginia Townsend Brown, Samuel Leroy Brown was born in 20 Jun 1902, in Columbus, Ohio. Emma is Samuel's mother, so it's fairly certain to say that she remembers her son's birthdate. Various interviews done by my mother regarding her father's brother indicated that the name of Samuel's wife was Mary Jane. The couple had a son born in 1945. He could still be living so I'm going to withhold his name. And the last clue that I had was that Samuel moved to Missouri and potentially died in Dec 1948.

Unfortunately, Samuel's nieces (by his brother Lewis Sherman) did not know much about Uncle Samuel. So, I decided to see what I could see.

Using Ancestry.com, I attempted to locate a marriage certificate for Samuel and Mary Jane. I had the hardest time narrowing down my searches to the year, name, and dates of interest. So, I went over to FamilySearch.org. I LOVE being able to filter the records down on this site. I think they have the best record filter there is. It makes sense and is easy to use.


Ohio County Marriage Records, 1790-1950. FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org). Digital images of originals housed at various archives throughout Ohio. Marriage Records. FHL microfilm, 1,525 rolls, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.


So, I was able to find a marriage record for Samuel L Brown (no birth date given) to a Marietta Hicks. Well, Mary Jane / Marietta, that seems close. When the marriage certificate mentioned the names of Sherman Lewis Brown as the father of Samuel and Emma Virginia Townsend as the mother, I knew I had my man (and his marriage!).

I suppose before I move onto the next step I really need to learn how to accurately cite the source listed above. Footnote Maven is my next step.

Then the next step is to figure out if I can find his death certificate in Missouri. More on that later.

Wedding Wednesday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers, the genealogy community's resource for blogging. It is used by many genealogy bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...