07 August 2011

Mystery Monday - Samuel Barton


Evaline Townley Geiszler Family Bible, formerly possessed by Margie Wasson

In reviewing records that my mother passed to me, I looked at this entry in my great-grandmother's Bible. I have no idea where the Bible currently is located. My mother photo copied the entry in 1977 from my father's aunt Margie Wasson. I don't know if the bible still exists. Perhaps it's still with the Wasson family. Sadly, Margie passed away last year on the day I drove into town to see her. The Bible could also have been in the possession of my mother, but she's moved several times recently. In going through her boxes during the most recent move, the Bible has not turned up.

In any case, I have this photo copy and I've identified many of the persons on the page. The one I do not know is Samuel B. Barton, died July 22, 1929 in Columbus, Ohio. I recently read a tip that one should research collateral lines. So, I decided Samuel needed to be researched.


Death Certificate for Samuel Barton, 22 July 1929, File No. 46454, Ohio State Board of Health.
Digital copy obtained through FamilySearch.org


I was happy to find this death certificate through
FamilySearch.org. However, there is not much information about Samuel that I can use to track him down. The reason being, is that the informant is Mrs. Geo. Geiszler of 1151 Medill St, Columbus, Ohio. Apparently, Samuel was working on the roof of the home at 1147 Medill St. He fell from the roof and was crushed. His neighbor, Mrs. Geo. Geiszler (Evaline Townley Peak) handled his case with the department of health.

Evaline is a great-grandmother of mine. Apparently, Evaline knew the birthplace of Samuel and where he worked, but not much else. I thought that was very interesting. I don't know the full names and birth dates of my neighbors enough to be an informant on their death certificates. I wondered why Evaline would know such information.

Then I noticed that Samuel was a retired pattern maker having worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad. A light bulb went on. Evaline's husband George Geiszler was a pattern maker for the Pennsylvania Railroad. Samuel and George must have known each other from the work place. I imagine they were good enough friends, and neighbors at this time. I'm imagining that Evaline handled the paperwork for Samuel while George was at work. Otherwise, George himself (a friend and co-worker) would have handled this information. And, if Evaline is the one handling the paper work, then no family members were around to do it for Samuel. Samuel is listed as a widow at the time of his death. So, it's possible that no children were close by or the couple had no children at all. The reason I'm imagining all of these things (friendship, no family close by, and no children) stems from this young man.

George Barton Geiszler (1923-1994)

This is George Barton Geiszler. So far as I know, Barton is not a Geiszler family name. Perhaps it is and I've yet to uncover the family link. However, this son was born in 1923. According to the 1920 US Census, George and Evaline were living on Medill Street and George was working as a pattern maker. After the Census, George Barton was born and given the name of his father and now presumably the last name of my mystery man Samuel B. Barton.

With such a namesake, mention in the family bible, and signature of Evaline on the death certificate, I imagine there was a very strong closeness between George (age 44 in 1929) and Samuel (who died at 76).

I searched the 1920 Census, and I can't seem to find Samuel living on Medill St. I did find a Samuel Barton on Long Street in Columbus. Medill is in the 6th Ward of Columbus and Long Street was in the 1st Ward. I haven't figured out where these wards were in 1920 and how close the two streets were. More research to come. Plus, I probably need to figure out where the office for the Pennsylvania RR was in 1920.

Anyway, I found this census entry:

1920 United State Census, Columbus 1st Ward, Franklin County, Ohio; p. 4A, family 86, dwelling 57, lines 26-277; January 6, 1920.

I know it's hard to see, but Samuel Barton is married to Caroline. He's 66 and was born in Pennsylvania. She's 43 and was born in Illinois. Her parents are German and his parents were also from Pennsylvania. But the identifier is the Samuel is a pattern maker for a Railroad company. I'm not certain how many Samuel Barton's were pattern makers in their 60s in the 1920 Census. I didn't find many entries for Samuel Barton in Columbus in 1920 in the first place so I'd like to suggest that this is my mystery man.

Working backwards, I found a Samuel Barton in the 1910 Census (Year: 1910; Census Place: Columbus Ward 4, Franklin, Ohio; Roll: T624_1181; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 0078; Image: 346; FHL Number: 1375194.). In this one he's married and has his in-laws living with him. Samuel, 54, and Kataline, 34, have been married for two years. They have no children. Samuel was a pattern maker. His in-laws Julius F and Fredericka Bergener arrived in the US in 1867 and are now living with the Bartons.

Working backwards again, I found Samuel Barton in the 1900 US Census (Year: 1900; Census Place: Columbus Ward 8, Franklin, Ohio; Roll: T623_1268; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 76.) This time his wife, of 14 years, is Nannie A. They have a lodger living with him. Nannie and Samuel were both born in Pennsylvania. From this I could guess that his marriages to Kataline and Caroline were done in Ohio. I found his marriage certificate to Caroline in 1907, which lead me to believe that Kataline was a miss interpretation of Caroline in 1910.

All of this is leading me to believe that Samuel had no family in Ohio besides his two wives. Apparently, none of his wives born children to him. So, my guess is that Samuel worked with my great-grandfather George in the pattern shop of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Perhaps George was like a son to Samuel and George felt Samuel was like a second father. The closeness developed such that George wanted to pass Samuel's name on to his son George. Evaline must have also felt the closeness which is why she recorded Samuel's death in her family bible.

I can't say that all of these leads are true. But, if I'm right, then Samuel will never be forgotten in the Geiszler family anymore. Perhaps a Barton family might know him and appreciate the impact Samuel must of had on this family in Ohio.


Mystery Monday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers, the genealogy community's resource for blogging. It is used by many genealogy bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...